Police are today seeking the identities of three Jihadi terrorists who were shot dead by armed police after killing seven people and injuring dozens of others in a horrific van and knife rampage through central London last night.
The men, described as being ‘of Mediterranean origin’, mowed down up to 20 revellers as they careered across London Bridge in an ‘S shape’ at 50mph before they began ‘randomly stabbing’ people in nearby Borough Market.
Today five people were reportedly arrested in an early morning raid on a block of flats in Barking, east London, as police launch a major investigation into what is the third terror attack on British soil in the last three months.
Speaking outside No 10 today, Theresa May confirmed the London Bridge atrocity is not directly connected to last month’s Manchester bombing or Westminster attack in April but that all three are linked by ‘the single evil ideology of Islamist extremism’. The terror threat level remains at ‘severe’, meaning another attack is ‘highly likely’.
The three attackers, who were wearing fake suicide vests, shouted ‘this is for Allah’ as they used 12-inch hunting knives to attack revellers at busy bars and restaurants in the market, sending dozens of others fleeing for their lives. One of the suspects was wearing an Arsenal football shirt.
Armed police rushed to the scene and shot dead all three suspects within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call and placed the area on lock down. Meanwhile medics wheeled away injured victims on stretchers while crying people wrapped in foil blankets were evacuated from the ‘horrific’ scene.
– Witness accounts of the terrifying events started to emerge with revellers describing how they fought off knifemen with chairs and glasses after attackers stormed packed bars and restaurants
– A hero taxi driver revealed how he tried to knock down three men ‘armed with 12in knives’ while another reported seeing victim being stabbed in the face and chest
– Dashcam footage emerged showing the aftermath of the devastation caused by the van on London Bridge, with bystanders seen tending to victims on the side of the road
– Desperate families are begging for information on loved ones feared missing after the attack, including a 16-year-old girl who failed to return home last night
– Kindhearted Londoners offered beds, food and cups of tea to survivors as the city came together in the wake of another attack and #PrayForLondon trended on social media
– Today heavily armed officers raided a flat in Barking, east London, on Sunday morning as police launched a major investigation into the third terror attack on British soil in as many months
– The Prime Minister chaired a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee in Whitehall this morning and insisted in a press conference outside No 10 afterwards: ‘Enough is enough’
– Politicians faced calls to cancel the election next week but Mrs May confirmed it will go ahead as planned
– All parties except for Ukip agreed to suspend national election campaigning today but local efforts will continue
– London Mayor Sadiq Khan condemned the ‘barbaric’ and ‘horrific’ event as ‘deliberate and cowardly’. Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said the attack was ‘brutal’ and ‘shocking’ in a tweet last night
– President Donald Trump tweeted his support for Britain, saying ‘Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there – WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!’
– Ariana Grande, whose young fans were targeted in the attack at Manchester Arena, confirmed the benefit concert to benefit victims will go ahead tonight as planned with her manager urging people to stand together
– Speaking from the steps of No 10 today, Mrs May said Britain faces a ‘new trend in the threat we face’ as she condemned the brutal attacks.
– The Premier said there was ‘far too much tolerance’ of extreme views and vowed to stand up for ‘pluralistic British values’ that were ‘superior’ to the fanatics’ ideology. She vowed: ‘We will take on and defeat our enemies.’