ALMOST 5,000 cops are currently out sick as the coronavirus crisis continues to ravage New York with fears looming of disorder on the streets.
The number of police officers out sick on Sunday amounts to nearly 14 per cent of the 36,000-strong force.
And that is up by nearly 800 officers from the day prior as the more and more cops are taken ill during the outbreak, reports the New York Post.
New York City Police Department (NYPD) commissioner Dermot Shea warned the force will be devastated by the killer infection as he confirmed the figures.
He announced that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases is expected to hit around 900 on Monday.
Mr Shea said: “We know that those numbers are going to continually grow.
“We’re looking at both sides of the spectrum, quite frankly: what is the current sick rate as officers are still becoming infected? And when is that beginning to plateau.”
He did not confirm how long officers were being told to stay home if they are diagnosed with Covid-19.
The NYPD also this weekend confirmed the death of Cedric Dixon, its first uniformed officer killed by coronavirus.
The 48-year-old worked in the 32nd Precinct in Harlem, and was the third member overall of the NYPD staff to be killed by the virus.
It was confirmed last week an administrative aide in the Bronx and a cleaner at NYPD’s headquarters, 1 Police Plaza, had also died of Covid-19.
Mr Shea did however added the first officers who contracted the virus are now beginning to return to work after going out sick on March 12.
With the force being impacted by the coronavirus, fears continue to loom over disorder as the crisis worsens.
Mr Shea however previously insisted cops have no intention of “strategically cutting enforcement” during the outbreak.
New York state remains the epicenter of the pandemic within the US, with more than 59,000 confirmed cases and more than half of those in New York City.
Yesterday, the state’s death toll exceeded 1,000
The US has the highest number of cases in the world with more than 140,000 and almost 2,500 deaths nationwide.
Coronavirus’ impacts on New York have seen a butting of heads between President Donald Trump and New York governor Andrew Cuomo.
President Trump floated the idea of quarantining the city completely on Saturday night, before backtracking and saying it would be a “strong travel advisory”.
Speaking to reporters, the President said: “Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hot spot – New York, New Jersey, one or two other places, certain parts of Connecticut, quarantined.”
He added: “I’m thinking about that right now. We might not have to do it, but there is a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine, short term, two weeks, on New York, probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut.”
President Trump then later tweeted “a quarantine will not be necessary”.
Gov. Cuomo said the idea was a “declaration of war” on states and warned it would “paralyze the financial sector”.
New York City is planned to have four emergency hospitals opened up with an extra 4,000 beds for coronavirus patients.
USNS Comfort, a hospital ship with 1,000 beds, is set to arrive in New York today from Virginia.
Gov. Cuomo said: “We’ll use this to backfill and take pressure off a hospital.”
New Yorkers are set to be working from home for another two weeks as the lockdown was extended last night until at least April 15.
The executive order requires all non-essential employees to work from home and bans non-essential gatherings.
It was first issued on March 22, and Gov. Cuomo said they will re-evaluate every two weeks.
He added: “This is not going to get better soon.”
Gov. Cuomo continued: “I know we feel under attack… this is New York. We are going to make it through this.
“We specialize in stamina and strength in instability, and that is just what we’re doing now.”
Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said that he expects the death toll across the US to be in the hundreds of thousands.
Speaking on CNN, he said: “Looking at what we’re seeing now, I would say between 100 and 200,000 deaths, but I don’t want to be held to that.”
He continued: “I just don’t think that we really need to make a projection when it’s such a moving target.”
Dr Fauci did warn that the case numbers within the US will be in the “millions”.
Meanwhile, President Trump has extended “stay at home” rules until at least the end of April as he warned the peak will hit at Easter.
It came despite his insistence just days ago that the US will be open for business again by the holiday.